Protein needs will vary greatly from person to person and a mound of meat is not only unnecessary, expensive, and heavy to have at every meal, it can also be very harsh on your immune system and digestion. I would encourage you to experiment with proteins and find what works for you the best.
Alkalizing Protein Soup
Vegan - Alkaline - No Sugar - Paleo - Gluten Free - Autoimmune Friendly
- 1 16 oz bag of organic frozen peas
- 2 C organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3 Tbl Hemp seeds (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbl Parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea/Himalayan Salt to taste (start with 1/2 tsp and then season to taste)
- Black Pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan add the bag of peas and cover with the vegetable broth.
- Heat on high until the peas are heated through (about 3-5 minutes).
- Pour the peas and broth into a blender.
- Be careful blending hot liquids! Leave the top off just a little bit, place a towel over the top of the blender, and start slow.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with hemp seeds for added texture and protein.
This soup contains multiple sources of protein:
Hemp- Proteins found in hemp are similar to proteins found in the human body. Hemp has natural occurring omega 3’s, in a healthy 3:1 ratio, is rich in edestin which aids in digestion, and has albumin proteins which are similar to egg whites.
Peas- While peas do not contain all the aminos to make it a complete protein their unique phytonutrients provide us with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. When paired with rice or hemp a complete protein is formed with out the acidity impact of animal products.
Avocados- You may not associate avocados with protein but a half of one will provide 4g of protein! This may not seem like much, but even a small amount of protein (especially when paired with fat) will keep your appetite at bay for longer periods.