Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away so I want to start sharing some of my go to gluten-free crowd pleasers that I make for my family. Today is a make ahead side dish of roasted root vegetables that I roast the day before then I re heat the day of and toss in a garlic, sage, sherry, brown butter sauce right before serving. Toss some toasted nuts and fresh lemon zest on top and you have a gourmet side dish that will make your guests think you are hot stuff….because you are obviously duh!
Stick with me kid this holiday is going to be your best ever!!!
Roasted Root Vegetables in a Garlic Sage Sherry Brown Butter
Make Ahead - Vegetarian - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Sugar Free - Paleo
- 1 lb Carrots Peeled Cut in 1/2'' pieces
- 1 lb Parsnips Peeled Cut in 1/2'' pieces
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes Peeled Cut in 1/2'' pieces
- 4 Shallots Peeled & Cut in quarters
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil or Ghee or Grapeseed Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
Brown Butter Sauce
- 3 Tbl Grass Fed Butter
- 1 Tbl Finely Minced Garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
- 1 Tbl Finely Minced Fresh Sage Leaves (about 3-4 leaves)
- 1 Tbl Sherry Vinegar
- Pinch of Sea/Pink Salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Pecans (or Hazelnuts or Marcona Almonds)
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Line a large roasting/sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Toss the chopped vegetables with the oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and pour onto the sheet pan. Make sure the vegetables are in a single layer to prevent steaming and promote browning.
- Roast in the middle rack of the oven for 35-40 minutes tossing the vegetables halfway through cooking until browned with crispy edges.
- Remove the vegetables and set aside. (At this point you can cool the vegetables and store them in the fridge until the next day. When ready to serve place back onto a sheet pan lined with foil and reheat in a 375F for 20-25 minutes or until warmed and browned).
- Transfer the warm vegetables to a large bowl.
For the brown butter
- In a small sauce pan heat the butter over medium heat until foaming.
- Add the sage and garlic into the butter and allow to saute for 1-2 minutes making sure not to burn the garlic.
- As soon as the garlic starts to take on color remove from the heat and add the sherry vinegar, a big pinch of salt, and the nuts.
- Stir the butter mixture and pour over the vegetables.
- Toss the vegetables until well coated in the butter.
- Zest the lemon over the vegetables right before serving.
- You can play with the root vegetables and the nuts used in this recipe.