Hello fellow health warriors! Spring is here and with the entrance of warmer weather we begin to notice the clutter that has built up around us through the winter months. While it is important to clean your home, organize your car, file paperwork etc. it is also just as important to do the same for your mind, body, and spirit. I am embarking on another 10day cleanse led by a fellow classmate of mine at the Integrative Institute of Nutrition. She is a toxicologist, doctor, and a beautiful soul. Follow the facebook page she has started with the cleanse protocols, recipes, and adaptations here
The word cleanse has been confused for many, mainly that it is associated with some sort of fast track weight loss plan; that is not what this cleanse is about.
I believe a Spring cleanse is a time to:
- Limit the stress on your digestion by eating blended, nourishing foods
- Rebuild your immune system after the taxing cold weather of the previous months
- Refresh our minds and intentions for the months ahead.
Here is my shopping list for what I will be using to build meal replacing smoothies and raw blended recipes:
- Chaga tea (detoxifying)
- Green, white teas, puerh (cleansing for blood)
- Coconut and other nut milks (homemade if possible) almond milk, pumpkin milk, flax milk etc.
- Turmeric (anti inflammatory)
- Cinnamon (blood sugar regulator)
- Cayenne (metabolism, intestinal cleanser)
- Ginger (digestive aid)
Vitamins, minerals, adaptogens
- Maca (adaptogen/hormonal health)
- Carob (bowel conditioner/protein source)
- Raw cacao (caffeine/antioxidant)
- High quality green powder. I like Healthforce naturals but pick your favorite
- Nuts/seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, almonds, cashews, flax etc)
- Nut seed butters (almond, cashew, sunflower, etc)
- Flax oil
- Coconut oil
- Nuts/seeds (pumpkin, cashew, sunflower, almonds)
- Nut/seed butters
Low glycemic sweeteners
- Pure stevia
- Dates (fruits can be used as well)
- Herbs (parsley, cilantro, mint)
- Red cabbage
- Dark leafy greens
Dr Rhea suggests in order to make a meal replacing smoothie:
Start by using one from each category (you’ll notice overlap too) and switch it up so you’re not consuming too much of one thing. Remember, moderation is key. Add the supplements to a beautifully balanced concoction of vegetables and fruits – see my recipe album for specific recipes and ideas: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.511991548846468.1073741826.397072023671755&type=3 Organic, if possible. Here’s a list of the clean 15 (those veggies/fruits you DON’T have to buy organic) and the dirty dozen (those you definitely want to purchase clean & local if possible): http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/ Top up your blender with filtered water, coconut water (look for ones with no additives) or a dairy-free milk of choice – hemp, almond, rice or for those dairy-lovers, raw, organic).
Here are some of my own recipes that can be incorporated over the 10 days. Just make sure to keep all the ingredients vegan and raw unless noted below:
- Pain Relief Tea
- Pina Colada Limeade Refresher
- Pre Workout Pump Juice – Beets, Carrot, Turmeric, & Ginger
- Strawberry Mint Matcha Tea Smoothie
- Turmeric Tummy Warmer
- Beat the Bloat Ginger-Mint Lemonade
- Green Matcha Cashew Dream Shake
- Green Monster Detox Drink
- Love Potion – Chocolate Raspberry Beet Smoothie
- Carrot Ginger Puree (make with cold pressed olive oil, coconut oil, or flax oil. ok to use steamed carrots not raw)
- Carrot Sunflower Seed Dip – Vegan – Paleo (ok to steam carrots)
- Chilled Cantaloupe Gazpacho
- Raw Vegan Pub Cheese
- Chia Flax “Nutella” Chocolate Hazelnut Pudding
- Raw Vegan Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Blueberry Vegan Chia Pudding
My daily protocol looks something like this:
Note: You can switch these meals around to different times of the day and modify to your nutritional needs and personal preferences. Again please go to the RAWjuvenation page for cleansing protocols.
- Take a high quality probiotic
- Oil for for 20 minutes
- Drink a big glass of filtered water with fresh lemon juice
- Dry Body Brushing to encourage detox and flushing of toxins through the lymphatic system
- Whole food smoothie (follow directions above for proper balance or follow this link on how to build a proper low sugar green smoothie)
- Low sugar green juice
- Drink slowly
- 1Tbl flaxoil or coconut oil for added calories if needed
- Raw recipe of of pudding rich in fat or nut/seed pesto
- large glass of homemade nut milk with cinnamon
Eat/drink when hungry.
Take long walks outside.
Take part in a creative project.
Connect with loved ones.
Remember to join the group for more support but you do not need to deprive yourself of food. Add in raw blended recipes when craving something more filling, drink homemade nut milks for snacks, juice as much as possible, meditate, do yoga, start a creative project…reflect, rebuild, restore. Find clarity, peace, and your inner voice again. Cleansing is a beautiful way to honor your self and allow new blood, ideas, and energy into your life.