Dukkah Spice Blend
Gluten Free - Vegan - Paleo - No Sugar
Makes one heaping cup
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) hazelnuts (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) shelled pistachios (unsalted)
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dried lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon pink or sea salt
- Toast the hazelnuts and pistachios in a dry skillet, or place on a sheet pan and roast on 350F for 8 minutes or until fragrant.
- In a skillet over medium heat toast the seeds and berries (from sesame to black pepper) in the skillet for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant shaking the pan frequently so they don’t burn. Let cool completely. Add the salt and the lemon peel to the mixture and set aside.
- First place the hazelnuts and pistachios (or larger nuts) in a spice grinder and pulse a few times to get the mixture started.
- Pour the nuts out onto a plate with the other spices and mix up with your hands or a spoon.
- In small batches add all the ingredients, and grind to a coarse powder in an electric grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Pour mixture into a jar and close tightly. Keep in a cool dry place.
I like to sprinkle this on top of veggies as a garnish or I dip apple slices into the Dukkah for a heavenly snack!