Sunflower Seed Butter
Vegan - Grain Free - Refined Sugar Free - Raw Friendly
- 16 ounces (1 lb) of raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp Himalayan or fine sea salt
- 2 tsp raw honey (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup nut oil or oil of choice (walnut oil, flaxseed oil, macadamia, coconut works too if melted but keep in mind the oil you use will reflect in the taste of the sunflower butter)
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Place the sunflower seeds on a sheet pan so that they lay in one layer. Roast in the middle rack for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden and fragrant. *Optional to roast the seeds but if you do the flavor will be much deeper. You can also slow roast them on the lowest setting of your oven for 6-8 hours to retain more nutrients or keep them raw
- Place the roasted sunflower seeds, salt, honey (or stevia) and 1/4 cup of oil of choice into a high power blender or food processor. Pulse for 1 minute to get the mixture going. When it starts to form a paste run the motor for 2 minutes at a time (stopping to give the motor a break and not heat the mixture) until a smooth paste is formed (takes about 10 minutes total). If you find the mixture very dry continue to add more oil 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.