Turnip Mash with Dried Mushrooms
Vegetarian - Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Low Carb
- 4 Cups Peeled Turnips cut into large chunks
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Broth (Vegetable, Chicken, Turkey etc)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Mushrooms cut finely
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tbl Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- In a medium sauce pan add the broth, the mushrooms, and the chopped turnips.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer with the lid off and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the turnips are easily pierced with a knife.
- Transfer all of the mixture to a blender and puree with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- The mushrooms can be omitted and milk and butter can be used if you can tolerate dairy but make sure to not add the maple syrup.
- Half the turnips can also be exchanged for potatoes if you want a more traditional style of mashed potatoes as well and omit the maple syrup.