Middle Eastern Roasted Eggplant with Basil Serrano Salse Verde
Gluten Free - Grain Free - Paleo - Vegetarian - Dairy Free
- 10 Baby Eggplants
- 1 tablespoon fat of choice to cook with (for eggplants)
- 2 teaspoons Sumac
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 cup Flat Leaf Parsley
- 4 cups Basil Leaves
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil (for Salsa Verde)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Serrano Pepper (Diced with seeds removed)
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest (About 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 2 heaped tablespoons Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- Pre heat the oven to 475F
- Split the eggplants in half lengthwise and liberally cover them in fat of choice (coconut oil, ghee, macadamia oil, etc).
- In a small bowl combine the Sumac, Smoked Paprika, and two big pinches of fine sea salt.
- Liberally sprinkle the eggplant with the spice mixture reserving a small pinch for the eggs.
- Place the eggplants on a sheet pan and roast for 25-30 minutes or until charred and softened. (A knife should pierce very easily when pressed against the flesh)
Basil Serrano Salsa Verde
- In the work bowl of a food processor add 1/3 cup olive oil, diced and seeded Serrano pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, basil and parsley.
- Pulse for about 1 minute until the herbs are broken down.
- Add the nutritional yeast and pulse to incorporate.
- Taste for seasoning.
- If the mixture is too thick stream in more olive oil until the desired consistency is reached.
Medium Boiled Eggs
- Place the eggs in a small sauce pan and cover with water to just cover the eggs.
- Heat over medium high heat, uncovered, until the water just comes to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, leaving the pot in place, and set a timer for 8 minutes.
- When the timer goes off drain and cover the eggs in ice water.
- Allow the eggs to cool for 10 minutes or until cool to the touch.
- With the back of a spoon gently tap all around the surface of the egg to create as many little cracks as possible.
- Roll the egg around in your hands over the sink.
- With the faucet running gently peel the eggs under the running water.
- Split the eggs in half and dust with the remaining sumac, salt, smoked paprika spice mixture.
- Place 5 eggplant halves in a plate along with two halves of an egg.
- Generously spoon the salsa verde over the eggs and eggplant.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of roasted sunflower seeds over each plate.