Orange Scented Garnet Yam and Carrot Mash
Gluten Free - Grain Free - Paleo - No Sugar - Vegan Friendly
- 1 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 pounds Garnett yams, ends trimmed, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1 teaspoon pink or sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- juice and zest from 2 oranges
In a large high sided saucepan add the cut carrots, yams, and salt and cover with the 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the yams and carrots are softened and easily pierced with the tip of a knife (about 25 minutes).
Drain the sweet potato and carrots making sure to save the cooking liquid.*
Add the vegetables into a blender along with 1/2 tsp pepper, the zest and juice from the 2 oranges and blend until very smooth or your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
*I like to reuse the cooking liquid because it has a lot of residual nutrients in other applications like soups, and other vegetable mash dishes and has great flavor.