Smokey Maple Kabocha Squash Fries
Vegan - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Refined Sugar Free - Paleo
- 1 Large Kabocha Squash
- 2 Tbl Coconut Oil or melted grass fed ghee
- 1 1/2 Tbl Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Ancho Chili Pepper
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt or Celtic Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Cut the squash into 1/4'' thick half moons and then cut those in half.
- Using a vegetable peeler remove the outside skin (this may take a few passes with the peeler because the skin is thick. You can skip this if you don't mind eating around the skin).
- In a small bowl combine the oil, maple syrup, spices and whisk to create a thick paste.
- Place the cut squash into a large mixing bowl and pour the maple/oil mixture over the squash and toss to coat (I like to wear gloves and massage the paste into each individual piece of squash).
- Place the squash onto a foil lined sheet pan on a single layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then remove the pan and flip over each piece of squash.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until browned and caramelized.
- Sprinkle with salt when they come out of the oven.
- Remove and allow to cool before eating.
Sprinkle with some additional flaked salt and drizzle with more maple syrup if desired.
This can be made with almost any winter starchy vegetable like butternut, acorn, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, parsnips or even carrots.