Half Cured Sweet and Smokey Salmon
Refined Sugar Free - Grain Free - Dairy Free - Anti Inflammatory
- 1 lb Skin on Center Cut one Side Piece of Wild Salmon (pin bones removed)
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbl Coconut Sugar
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds (toasted and ground) or 1/2 tsp dried *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (toasted and ground) or 1/4 tsp dried *
- Combine the smoked paprika, coconut sugar (or raw sugar), salt, zest of the lemon (and additional spices if using) in a bowl. Toss with your fingers.
- Rinse the salmon off and dry with paper towels removing as much moisture as possible.
- Lay the salmon down on a sheet pan lined with foil and brushed with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Generously cover the salmon in the spice rub pressing it into the flesh until it is completely covered.
- Allow the salmon to sit out for 30-45 minutes and "cure".
- You know its ready when the spices have absorbed into the salmon and it has a sheen to it.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 3 inches from the broiler.
- After the curing, place the salmon under the broiler for 6-8 minutes or until the thickest part of the fish reaches an internal temperature of 131 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- For whole spices: Toast the coriander and cumin in a dry small saute pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the spices become fragrant. Make sure to stir the spices every 30 seconds or so for even toasting.
- In a mortar & pestle or a spice grinder add the toasted coriander and cumin seeds and process until finely ground. Add to spice/lemon zest/sugar mixture and proceed with recipe.