Sugar Free Paleo Peppermint Patties
Vegan - Sugar Free - Paleo - Soy Free - Gluten Free - Grain Free
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (shredded will work too)
- 1 Cup Unrefined Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Pure Peppermint Extract (see notes)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Powder or Pure Extract
- 4 Tbl Maple Syrup or Yacon Syrup (divided in half)
- 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt (or any sea salt)
- 4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate (high quality please and thank you)
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- In the bowl of a food processor add the coconut flakes, coconut oil, vanilla and peppermint extracts, 2 tbl maple syrup, salt, and blend until the mixture is smooth. Taste for sweetness and mint intensity. Feel free to add more of both depending on your palette.
- Place the coconut mixture in the fridge to firm up while preparing the chocolate for at least 20 minutes. The mixture should be firm while soft enough to scoop with a spoon. If the mixture if made ahead of time allow it to sit out on the counter before using.
- Chop up the chocolate and place in a double boiler. (if you don't have a double boiler place a bowl thats big enough to sit on the top of a saucepan without the bowl touching the water with a few inches of simmering, not boiling, water underneath)
- Add the oil to the chocolate and stir until it is completely melted.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
If using a mold
- Pour the chocolate into the mold and swirl around over a bowl or something large enough to catch the excess.
- Using a flat edge spatula or a bench scraper or even the back of a butter knife scrape the excess chocolate off of the mold.
- Place the chocolate in the freezer to firm up for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate and scoop the coconut mixture into the molds filling almost to the top of the molds.
- Return the mold into the freezer to firm up for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mold from the freezer and pour the remaining chocolate over the pieces and scrape off the excess so there is no visible coconut.
- Return to the freezer to firm up for an addition 15 minutes.
- Pop the pieces out of the mold and keep them stored in the fridge.
If you don't have a mold
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the coconut mixture (it should be firm enough to hold a shape) leaving 1/2'' in between.
- Place in the freezer to firm up for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and pour the chocolate over each coconut mound making sure to cover every inch.
- Return the chocolates back to the freezer to firm up for an additional 15 minutes.
- Keep the chocolates in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Peppermint extracts can vary in intensity so I advise to start with 2 tsp of extract then taste the mixture. You can always add more but if you add to much the batch can be ruined so add 1/2 tsp at a time to increase the mint flavor.