Carrot Pineapple Ginger Granita
Vegan - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Refined Sugar Free
- 2 lbs Peeled Organic Carrots (or 2 cups unsweetend Carrot juice)
- 3 Cups Pineapple Chunks (or 2 cups unsweetened Pineapple Juice)
- 1 - 3''x 1'' piece of ginger ( see notes if you don't have a juicer)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Pure Organic Maple Syrup, Yacon Syrup, Sweetener of Choice
- Using a juicer, juice the carrots, pineapple and ginger (if using bottled juices simply combine them all in a bowl with a lid).
- Squeeze the lime into the juices and stir in the maple syrup and sea salt.
- Taste for sweetness and add more maple syrup or liquid stevia (your choice) to taste. (You are looking for it to be very sweet with bright flavors because the flavors dull once frozen)
- Pour the juice into a 9 x 13 baking dish and freeze it for a good two or three hours.
- Remove and gently scrape the slushy juice with a fork (it will be more frozen on the sides so mix those into the center)
- Return it back into the freezer for another hour or two, scrape again and repeat until the entire mix is frozen and scraped into ice pieces (usually takes about three rounds).
- If you have an ice cream maker place the juice mixture in the fridge for one hour to chill then churn according to your manufactures instructions.
- Spoon into bowls and eat!
- If you don't have a juicer finely chop up the ginger and add to a blender with 1/2 of the juice and puree until blended completely. Strain through a fine mesh strainer to avoid and ginger chunks add to the remaining ingredients and proceed with the recipe as written.
- I like to top my granita with fresh lime juice and layer with coconut cream if I'm in need of something a bit more decadent.