Gluten Free- Paleo- Dairy Free- Refined Sugar Free
Dairy Free Coconut Grapefruit Curd
Adapted from The Secrets of Baking by Sherry Yard - makes about 1 1/4cups
Grain Free - Refined Sugar Free - Paleo - Vegetarian
- 2.5oz Wild/Raw Honey (or sweetener of choice but coconut sugar will yield a light brown color)
- 1 Tablespoons grapefruit and or lemon or lime zest (finely grated on a rasp)
- 1 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 oz or 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 oz or 1/8 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons chilled coconut oil (if you can tolerate butter you can use that instead)
- Fill the pot with about one inch of water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Combine the zest, honey, eggs and egg yolks in the heatproof bowl. Whisk together for one minute to incorporate the honey and yolks. Place the bowl over the pot with simmering water and whisk constantly for about 30 seconds, or until the honey is dissolved.
- Add the grapefruit juice and lemon or lime juice and cook, whisking constantly for 8 to 10 minutes, until the curd reads 160° F on an instant read thermometer and has the consistency of sour cream and coats the back of a spoon. Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Use a spoon and scoop small pieces of the cold coconut oil whisking in one by one until it is completely incorporated. Strain the curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and push it into the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Chill for at least one hour to allow to firm up. Will stay for over a week covered in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
The citrus juice can be replaced by any other citrus juice such as orange, lemon, yuzu, etc just keep in mind the total juice required is 3oz. If doubling this recipe use 3 large eggs otherwise everything is else doubled properly.