Paleo Coconut Chocolate Mousse
Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Sugar Free
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 Cans Whole Fat Coconut Milk (chilled overnight in the fridge)
- 2 oz Dark Unsweetened Chocolate Chopped (about 3/4 cup chocolate)
- 2 Tbl Maple Syrup, Yacon Syrup, Lacuma Powder, Coconut Sugar, or Raw Honey to taste
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Powder or Extract
- 1/2 tsp Espresso Powder or Ground Coffee (optional but highly recommended)
- Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites until firm soft peaks are formed.
- With the mixer running slowly stream in the sweetener of choice and continue to beat until firm peaks are formed.
- Set aside
- Remove the tops of the coconut cream and scoop of the solidified cream on the top, leaving the coconut water on the bottom.
- Beat the coconut cream until light and fluffy.
- Melt the chopped chocolate over a double boiler or by placing in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Stir the chocolate and keep microwaving for ten second intervals stirring in between until fully melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and the espresso powder.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the chocolate is cooled fold it into the coconut cream.
- In 4 stages fold in the egg whites very gently into the chocolate coconut cream.
- Its ok if there are streaks of egg whites. You are looking to build volume.
- Once all of the egg whites are incorporated into the cream portion the mousse into the serving cups of choice and place in the fridge to set up for minimum of 30 minutes.
- You can chill the mousse in the bowl and then construct parfaits by layering the mousse with chopped nuts, chocolate chunks, pomegranates or any fruit and nut combo you like for a dinner party ready dessert.