These are the best thing I have put in my pie hole this year, plus they are so cute and little (The cuter something is the less calories it has right? No? We aren’t friends if you keep saying things like that).
Heres the trick to this indulgent tart...cashew cream! I posted the recipe yesterday because you need to soak the cashews overnight. I made the tart shells out of almond flour and whole hazelnuts for a richer flavor. If you want this tart to be raw you could simply leave out the oil and replace with 1/2 cup dates (soaked in warm water for 15-20 minutes to soften) process into a fine paste and press into the bottom and sides of the shell and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before filling to set up.
Chocolate Cashew Cream Banana Almond Tart
Makes enough for 4 mini tarts
- 4 mini prepared tart shells (see recipe below)
- 4 overripe bananas (I mean black like on the verge of throwing out)
- 1-2 fresh bananas cut into thin slices and placed in a bowl covered in water with juice of 1/2 lemon to keep from browning
- 1 cup thick cashew cream
- 2 TBL pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 TBL melted and slightly cooled coconut oil (or light flavored oil like grapeseed)
- 3/4 cup organic raw cacoa powder
- 1/2 dark organic chocolate bar for shaving
- 3/4 cup thick cashew cream + 1 TBL maple syrup(optional)
- Remove the bananas out of the water and place on a paper towel to dry off while preparing the filling.
- Place the 4 overripe bananas, cashew cream, cocoa powder, oil, maple syrup, salt, nutmeg in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- In the bottom of the cooled tart shells place a single layer of the sliced bananas in the bottom of each shell.
- Then scoop 2-3 TBL of the chocolate mixture over the bananas until it reaches just shy of the top of the crust.
- If garnishing with additional cashew cream whip some with the maple syrup and place in a piping bag or a plastic bag with the tip cut off. (I buy the piping bag tips and place them in the cut corner of a plastic bag)
- Pipe a small amount in the center or as much as your heart desires.
- With a vegetable peeler shave some chocolate on top of each tart.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight would be best) to allow the chocolate filling to set up.
- Relish in the beauty of your creation by stuffing your face with it :)
Vegan/Paleo Pie Crust
Makes 4 mini tarts or one regular size tart shell
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup whole dry roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 TBL melted coconut oil
Place the first three ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the hazelnuts are a fine flour. With the motor running slowly pour in the melted coconut oil until a sand like dough forms.
Test some by pressing a small handful and if it remains together you are good but if it falls apart you may need for oil. If it’s very wet and oily add more almond flour until the desired consistency is achieved.
Bake the tarts on a sheet pan for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for at least one hour before filling.