I just had a startling realization….
It’s the last week of February, which means it’s almost March, and March is almost Spring, and Spring is close to Summer, which is bathing suit season and you know what that means don’t you?!?!?!??!?
It means its time to stop eating all those starchy caloric dense foods and start slimming down for the warmer weather. Eeeek!
So what should you be eating you ask? Well its a good time to start filling your plate with low starch veggies on big piles of fresh salad paired with healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and oily omega 3 filled fish.
Here is one that you probably haven’t tried before, roasted radishes!
I love radishes because they are very light, have a low starch content, and are great for cleansing because they are a natural diuretic. I prefer to mix raw radishes and cooked to gain a variety of flavor in salads or paired as a side with proteins. All you have to do is place the radishes in a pouch of either parchment or aluminum foil add some ghee or olive oil roast for 15 minutes then open it up and broil for 5-8 minutes to get some nice color and depth of flavor. Voila! Keep in mind that you can use this method for almost any other low starch veggie for cooking like turnips, zuchini, asparagus, etc.
I also suggest to jumpstart your weight loss efforts by drinking a liter of this detox water daily to help fight bloat and curb your appetite:
Gluten Free - Paleo - Grain Free - Sugar Free - Low Carb - Vegan Friendly
- 1 lb radishes (washed and cut in half)
- 2 tsp Grass Fed Ghee or Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 425F
- You will need a piece of aluminum foil that is double the size of the amount of radishes because you will be folding it over on itself to form a pouch.
- Place the radishes off to one side of the foil and drizzle with oil or place the ghee in the center of the radishes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold the foil over on itself and crimp the edge tightly shut so the radishes can steam inside.
- Place the pouch on a sheet pan for easy removal.
- Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pouch from the oven and using heat proof oven mits carefully open the pouch to expose the radishes.
- Crank the oven up to a broil.
- Toss the radishes with a spoon.
- Place the radishes back in the oven on the top shelf and broil for 5-8 minutes or until they start to gain some color.
- Remove from oven allow to cool, sprinkle with a touch more of salt if desired and enjoy!
- See notes for garnishes.
- Chopped chives
- Julienned mint
- Drizzle with favorite salad dressing while still warm to absorb the flavor.
- Serve with sliced avocados on top of a salad for a healthy snack!