Root. Adaptogen. Libido Enhancer. Superfood.
Incan warriors used to eat Maca before going into battle because they believed it would give them superhuman strength. In honor of Valentines day I wanted to incorporate this energy and libido boosting superfood into a recipe you can share with your loved one for superhuman energy and love.
So why is Maca so great?
- Maca is a powerful adaptogen used to improve health of your adrenal system, the system that's in charge of managing your body's hormonal response to stress.
- Maca is a rich source of sterols (shown to help reduce blood cholesterol) including sitosterol, campesterol, ergosterol, brassicasterol, and ergostadienol.
- It is high in vitamins B1, B2, C, and E.
- Maca is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sulfur, sodium, and iron.
- It also contains trace minerals including zinc, iodine, copper, selenium, bismuth, manganese, tin, and silicon.
While many of the studies conducted for the efficacy of Maca for increase of sexual function are for animals I would still encourage you to experiment in small doses to see how you respond (go slow and keep the doses down to less than a teaspoon to start). This recipe is a perfect place to start because the amounts are kept to a small amount and are compounded with energy boosting foods like antioxidant rich cacao, folate rich hazelnuts, and medium-chain-tryglyceride coconut oil.
Cacao Maca Hazelnut Butter
Vegan - Gluten Free - Grain Free - No Sugar - Libido Boosting
Makes 1 1/4 cups
- 2 cups Hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 2 tbl Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 oz Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbl Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Gelatinized Maca Powder*
- 1/2 tsp Pink Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder or Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 225 F and roast the hazelnuts slowly until fragrant about 45-60 minutes. Tossing halfway through. *
- Roll the hazelnuts in a towel to remove the skins after they have cooled slightly.
- Add the hazelnuts, 1/4 c coconut oil, dark chocolate, and maple syrup to the work bowl of a food processor and process until blended into a thick paste. Transfer to a high power blender and add the remaining ingredients and blend until a smooth thick butter consistency is achieved. (you can try to process in the food processor for 5 minutes but the motor can heat up the nuts and the texture can be a bit grainy)
- Taste for salt and sweetness level. Add more salt and maple syrup according to your taste. Transfer to a glass jar and share with your sweetie.
- Keep refrigerated in between uses.
*I like gelatinized Maca because the fiber is removed making it easier to digest then regular maca. Experiment with what works for you.
*For optimal health soak your nuts for 2 hours before roasting.
Lay out some organic strawberries, a beautiful bowl filled with your libido boosting hazelnut butter, get cozy, and feel the love <3