Beet & Carrot Pancakes with Orange Aioli
Gluten Free - Grain Free - Vegetarian - No Sugar - Paleo
Yields 10 Pancakes
Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely shredded peeled beets (from 2 medium)
- 1 cup coarsely shredded peeled carrots (from 2 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (about 1 small onion)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 Tbl coconut flour
For Pan Frying
- 3 tablespoons grass fed ghee, coconut oil, macadamia oil or oil that can stand up to high heat.
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise or high quality store-bought
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbl orange juice
- 1 Tbl finely minced parsley
- zest of 1 orange
- pinch of pink/sea salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 300°F. Place baking sheet in oven. Combine beets, carrots and onion in large bowl. Mix in egg, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over 2 tbl flour; stir to blend well. Allow to sit for ten minutes. If there is still excess moisture add the remaining 1 tbl of coconut flour, stir and allow a few minutes to absorb the moisture.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup beet mixture for each pancake, drop 4 pancakes into skillet. Flatten each into 3-inch round. Cook until brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to baking sheet in oven; keep warm. Repeat with remaining beet mixture make sure to wipe out the pan and start with fresh oil before each new batch. Keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
In a medium bowl add all of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning and top each pancake with a spoonful. This can be made up to a week in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.