Spring is finally here, which is the perfect time to cleanse our bodies from the calorie dense foods of winter. Let’s show our livers some love with my love potion smoothie. What’s the big deal with our livers you say?
The main function of the liver is to convert glucose to glycogen and back again if necessary. Glycogen is a carbohydrate that is used to store glucose, which is used by the body as energy.
Basically, this means that the liver regulates the amount of glucose in the human bloodstream and therefore dictates your ability to gain or lose fat depending on how efficient this process is combined with your consumption of carbohydrates (simple and complex). The liver is also a filtering organ, so if your liver is not functioning properly, toxins can build up and hinder weight loss and overall health.
Since beets are known for cleansing the liver this is the perfect intro to a Spring detox to begin to flush the meats and heavy starches away and start to new season off right.
Love Potion - Chocolate, Beet Raspberry Smoothie
Vegan - Raw - Sugar Free - Paleo - Gluten Free - Grain Free
- 1 Small Beet peeled, chopped in small pieces
- 1 Cup Frozen Raspberries
- 2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 2 Tbl Flaxseed Meal
- 1 Cup Loosely Packed, Beet Greens (about a handful - see notes for substitutions)
- 2 Tbl Raw Cacao
- 1 Tbl Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Stevia, maple syrup, soaked pitted dates to taste
- Top with cacao nibs for crunch
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender a slowly bring the speed up until mixture is smooth adding more liquid as needed.
- Beet greens can be substituted for spinach, collards, or any other green of choice or omitted entirely if you want a sweeter smoothie.