I need to catch you up to speed here. So it is day 4 of a 10 day raw whole food juicing/smoothie cleanse that is being run by the beautiful and talented Dr Rhea of RAWjuvenation. I have chosen to go completely raw, blending all of my food to give my digestion and body a break from the heavy foods of winter. So far, so good. I start my morning with a probiotic, oil pulling, a huge glass of lemon water, then I fill my day with superfood smoothies, nutrient rich, low sugar, green juices, more lemon water, and the occasional blended raw food like this:
This was inspired by one of Dr Rhea’s recipes up on her Facebook page. The best part is that this recipe is a dump and puree method and this pesto is incredibly versatile. You can use it as a dip for a crudite platter, a spread for sandwiches, or even thinned out with some additional olive oil as a sauce or salad dressing. Basically, it is good on everything!
How are you cleaning up your diet for the Spring?
Raw Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Vegan - Raw - Gluten Free - Grain Free - Sugar Free - Paleo
- 1/2 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 large handful of parsley (about 1 cup packed)
- 1 large handful of cilantro (about 1 cup packed)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 1 capful of apple cider vinegar (brand Bragg's)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- Place all of the ingredients into a work bowl of a food processor and blend until a well combined and blended to the consistency of your liking.
- Taste for seasoning and keep covered in the fridge until ready to eat.
- The seeds can be substituted for any other nut like walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts etc
- The herbs can be substituted for other herbs like basil, dill, chives etc
- For a richer pesto use 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup olive oil
- Thin with extra olive oil for a salad dressing or sauce