Want to have better digestion, energy, and lose weight but don’t want to go on a full on juice cleanse?
Embrace the power of cilantro…
Ok so there are more ways to detox other then just cilantro, but it helps a lot more then you may think. Did you know that cilantro has tiny ions that bind to heavy metals in a process called chelation that help flush them out of your system?
Check out some other facts about this versatile powerhouse:
- Cilantro is a remarkable heavy-metal detoxifier and is able to remove mercury and aluminum from where it is stored in the adipose (fat) tissues with greater results over long term use.
- Cilantro herb is very low in calories and contains no cholesterol. However, its deep-green leaves possess good amounts of antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins, and dietary fiber, which help reduce LDL or “bad cholesterol” while rising HDL or “good cholesterol” levels.
- A study published in the June 2004 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, demonstrated that cilantro was capable of preventing salmonella from causing ill effects.
- Cilantro is also very helpful with autoimmune disorders such as Fibromyalgia, Addison’s Disease, Guillain-Barre syndrome, IBS, Multiple Sclerosis, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- When juiced and consumed as part of a regular routine, cilantro is known to help reduce the amount of damaged fats found in cell membranes.
- Cilantro is one of the richest herbal sources for vitamin K; providing about 258% of DRI. Vitamin-K has a potential role in bone mass building by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones.
Here are some quick tips on how to naturally detox without going on a specific “cleanse” or “fast”:
- Drink warm lemon water every morning before you eat, drink, or do anything else
- Add in apple cider vinegar to water and drink before meals to aid in digestion, weight loss, and for a natural source of probiotics
- Cut out “white” products: white flours, white sugars, and yes white starches (this means paleo flours too like arrowroot and potato starch)
- Eliminate or greatly reduce intake of high mercury fish like tuna, mackerel, shark, swordfish, and mackerel. If you do eat these make sure to double up on your cilantro intake at that meal. When choosing fish make sure to pick wild caught, smaller fish that are not on the endangered list like salmon, sardines, and trout.
- Sweating is a great way for your toxins to find an exit out of your body so get moving! Pick your poison: working out, sauna, dance contest in the backyard it doesn’t matter just as long as you work up a sweat.
- Add in high fiber foods to aid in elimination like chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, high fiber fruit and vegetables. Also make sure to take a high quality probiotic or increase your intake of naturally fermented foods like kefir, kombucha, pickles, and sauerkraut.
- Crowd your plate with organic fresh, raw, and lightly steamed low starch vegetables. If you eat meat consider taking a short break and try some new plant based forms of protein like soaked quinoa, spirulina, chlorella, hemp, or soaked nuts and seeds to give your body a break from the acidic load of meat. When you re-introduce meat make sure to limit your portions and only consume high quality grass fed meats and pastured animals.
- Add in detoxifying foods to help continual kidney and liver cleansing: parsley, cilantro, dandelion root, licorice root, cayenne, turmeric, red pepper, garlic, lemon, lime, grapefruit, sea vegetables (seaweed salad, nori, dulse), artichokes, beets, cruciferous vegetables, wheatgrass, spirulina, chlorella and milk thistle.
Check out my sweet and savory detox smoothie using cilantro as the main star!
Sweet and Savory Detox Cilantro Smoothie
vegan - raw - sugar free - gluten free - grain free - paleo - alkaline
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbl hemp seeds (or flax seeds would work)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 1/2-2 cups non dairy milk (almond, hemp, coconut, etc)
- 1/2 juice of a lemon
- 1/4 (about 3'') piece of cucumber
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine the non dairy milk, the cilantro, and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth adding more milk to thin if needed.
- If you hate cilantro adding mint can help subdue the flavor or just add more pineapple or banana to reduce the cilantro taste.